Americans United is committed to protecting the privacy and security of our donors and website users and we want you to be aware of our information gathering and dissemination practices for all digital resources hosted by Americans United. These policies apply to all information received by Americans United, both online and offline, including the Americans United website (au.org), protectthyneighbor.org, projectfairplay.org, and austudents.org, as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications.
If you have any questions about these policies, we encourage you to contact us:
- Email us at email@example.com, or
- Call our Development Department at (202) 466-3234.
Americans United does not automatically collect personal information from people who visit or interact with our website. We utilize analytics to measure website traffic including page views, number of visitors, time spent on the site, one-time and repeat visitors, and frequency of visits. We do not gather or collect any website user’s personal information through these analytics.
If you provide your name, postal address, email address, phone number, or other information via a form on any AU website, we may store that information and contact you about our work. AU does NOT share, sell, or provide your email address or phone number with or to third parties.
A cookie is a small piece of information exchanged between a website and your browser. Your browser stores cookies in your computer’s temporary file memory.
- The cookies provided by Americans United are intended to enhance the browsing experience for visitors to AU.org as described above.
- Web sites cannot read cookies set by other Web sites on separate domains. AU cannot read cookies set by other Web sites; nor can other Web sites read cookies set by AU.
- Certain parts of the Americans United Web site will allow you to utilize cookies in order to automatically store your Web site login information for subsequent visits. If you are using a public computer, it is highly suggested you do not use this feature.
Americans United is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors. We do not share or otherwise disclose any personal information, including your name, address, or email addresses with other organizations – whether your donation is executed online or offline - except as outlined below. Donors have the option to NOT have their name and address shared with organizations or entities with whom we execute list exchanges or rentals for fundraising purposes (see Resale or disclosure of donor information to third parties below information on how to make sure your name and address are never shared with other organizations or entities).
Taking action when we send you an email:
- If you sign a petition, your name and state may be included in an electronic file or hard-copy printout delivered to legislators or other policymakers.
- If you respond to an action alert by emailing a member of Congress or other policymaker, submit a comment to a government agency or take an action that generates a communication to an outside entity, the information you enter on the action page may be passed along to that outside entity.
Only Americans United staff has access to personally identifiable information provided by visitors to our site.
Making online donations:
- Americans United is fully compliant with PCI-DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) and does not maintain credit card information on any of our servers or in any files written or digital. AU cannot retrieve credit card information provided on the Web site after the credit card transaction has been processed.
- All credit card and electronic funds transfer information and processing is handled by Paragon Payment Solutions or PayPal and the information you enter on a donation or payment page is shared only, via encryption, with these third-party service providers in order to process payments.
- AU will NEVER ask for you to provide your Social Security number, Driver’s License, Passport or any other personal identity information.
Resale or disclosure of donor information to third parties:
From time to time, in order to grow our membership, Americans United may rent, share, or exchange a list of our donors' names and mailing addresses (whether gathered from online or offline donations) with like-minded organizations. In return, we are able to use other organizations’ names and addresses to help increase AU’s membership and raise funds to support our mission.
There are strict privacy guidelines that AU and other organizations must follow as set by the U.S. Privacy Study Commission. Other than the name and postal mailing address, no other personal donor information (including email address and past donations) is included in exchanges or rentals. Furthermore, organizations participating in list exchange or rental do not have physical possession of anyone’s name and address. Lists are sent directly to a mail house that prepares mailings and the information is never revealed to an organization. The only way an organization can obtain the name and address of someone on a list they have obtained through exchange or rental is if that person makes a donation to said organization.
Importantly, you may choose not to participate in this type of exchange by "opting-out." To keep your name and address from being sold, rented, shared, or exchanged to any other organization or entity, please check the appropriate box on the reply form accompanying an AU fundraising appeal you have received in the mail and return it in the enclosed envelope OR you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call the development office at 202-466-3234 or contact us by mail at: 1310 L Street, NW, Ste. 200 Washington, DC 20005. Be sure to specifically request that AU not share your information with any organization or entity. Be sure to include your full name and address. We fully honor all such requests.
AU will never email or send you information on behalf of other organizations.
Review Your Information
You may review your personal information collected by AU or request corrections in a number of ways:
- use our online form (only if you have provided us with your email address at some point)
- email email@example.com
- call us at 202-466-3234
- contact us by mail at: 1310 L Street, NW, Ste. 200 Washington, DC 20005