Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks a National Organizer & Faith Network Manager. This position will execute strategies and develop tactics to mobilize AU members, supporters, faith leaders, communities of faith, and faith-based organizations to move them up the ladder of engagement to become leaders and help meet our organizational goals. The National Organizer & Faith Network Manager is based at our Washington, D.C., office and reports to the Vice President for State Outreach & Engagement
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers. Our country was founded on the principle of religious freedom - a fundamental American value. As our Constitution makes clear, every American has the right to practice their religion or no religion at all as long as they don’t harm others. Separation of religion and government is a core principle that safeguards religious freedom for all of us. It defines who we are as a country, but it is increasingly under threat. Since our founding by clergy in 1948, AU has worked with faith leaders from across the country to protect religious freedom for all people, while also ensuring that religion is not used to harm others. AU seeks a relationship-oriented organizer to build on our legacy of faith-based outreach and engagement and experiment with new models of engaging our members in key states.
State Outreach & Engagement, including:
- Develop, launch, and manage state advocacy pilots - experimenting with new tools and models for engaging AUs members, supporters, and coalition partners in 2-3 key states.
Faith Organizing & Leadership Development, including:
- Develop and grow AU’s Faith Advisory Council to advise AU and to serve as influential voices for religious freedom.
- Manage and grow AU’s broader network of local faith leaders, Faith Leaders United, regularly communicating and engaging the network.
- Work across AU departments to identify faith network members to achieve AU goals.
- Build an effective strategy that prioritizes leaders from faith communities of color.
Faith Outreach & Engagement, including:
- Develop and deliver engagement programs and materials for people of faith, faith leaders, and other audiences.
- Working with Communications, ensure targeted messages and credible messengers for faith leaders and faith communities.
- Conduct educational outreach programs to seminaries, offering content on religious freedom and related issues.
- Partner with faith social justice campaigns to build AU’s presence and deepen relationships.
Represent AU as a Public Leader, including:
- Manage a portfolio of external faith ally relationships.
- Travel, as needed, to represent AU at events around the country.
- Develop fluency in AU’s core issues for tabling, organizing, outreach, and engagement events.
We are seeking candidates who can quickly build relationships and trust with diverse people of faith and have a strong drive toward initiative and follow-through. You should have:
- 4-6 years advocacy and/or organizing experience
- Experience working with different faith traditions
- Experiencing organizing within or with communities of faith
- Familiarity with project management – initiating, planning, executing, and closing the work of a team to achieve a specific goal
- Excellent interpersonal skills – an ability to manage conflict, listen deeply, and identify the passion and skills of individual volunteers while matching them to organizational goals
- Religious training or study preferred (but not required)
Knowledge of AU issues and experience with VAN, Basecamp, GoogleSuite, other digital organizing tools are both plusses but not a requirement.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits
Salary is $50,000-$68,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including 100% employer-paid health insurance premiums, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) with match, commuter subsidy, and on-site gym.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls, please.
Americans United is an equal-opportunity employer and places strong emphasis on a diverse environment in which individuals are valued regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic.