Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers.
Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks a National Organizer & State Network Manager. This position will execute strategies and develop tactics to mobilize AU members, supporters, students, and young people to move them up the ladder of engagement to become leaders and help meet our organizational goals.
The National Organizer & Student Network Manager - who is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Vice President for State Outreach and Engagement, is responsible for the following:
State Outreach & Engagement, including:
- Develop, launch, and manage state advocacy pilots - experimenting with new tools and models for engaging AU's members and supporters in 2-3 key states.
Student Leadership Development, including:
- Develop annual plans for AU’s Youth Advisory Council
- Manage and grow AU’s broader youth network, regularly communicating and engaging the network
- Recruit new leaders and develop content for AU’s annual advocacy conference
- Develop materials specially for youth leaders
Student Outreach & Engagement, including:
- Identify and execute new programming including an annual student essay contest
- Develop and deliver engagement programs for students and other audiences
- Work across AU departments to identify student network members to help achieve AU goals
- Working with Communications, ensure targeted messages and credible messengers for students and young people
Represent AU as a public leader, including
- Manage a portfolio of external student ally relationships
- Travel, as needed, to represent AU at events around the country
- Develop fluency in AU’s core issues for tabling, organizing, outreach, and engagement events
We are seeking candidates who can quickly build relationships and trust with diverse young people and have a strong drive toward initiative and follow-through. You should have:
- Minimum of 4-6 years advocacy and organizing experience
- Experience working with students or youth
- Familiarity with project management - initiating, planning, executing, and closing the work of a team to achieve a specific goal
- Excellent interpersonal skills - an ability to manage conflict, listen deeply, and identify the passion and skills of individual volunteers while matching them to organizational goals
Knowledge of AU issues and experience with VAN, Basecamp, GoogleSuite, other digital organizing tools are both plusses but not a requirement.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability, 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls, please.
Americans United is an equal-opportunity employer and places strong emphasis on a diverse environment in which individuals are valued regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic.