Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks an Advocacy Communications Associate. This position, which will report to the Vice President of Strategic Communications, will develop communications strategies and tactics for advocacy and engagement opportunities for high-profile policy issues and produce written materials to support these initiatives.
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers.
In early 2018, AU welcomed current President and CEO Rachel Laser and has since embarked on a robust strategic planning process to prepare the organization to play a more prominent role in the issues that have taken center stage in the national conversation. That process led to the hiring of the new VP for Strategic Communications, Tali Israeli, in October 2018. With this new, dynamic leadership, AU is taking its communications efforts to the next level.
As part of this strategy, the organization is seeking a politically savvy candidate with a strong writing background and advocacy communications experience to engage and activate a new generation of supporters from diverse communities.
The responsibilities of the Advocacy Communications Associate include:
- Work with the VP of Strategic Communications to develop communications strategies and tactics for high-profile policy issues that align with organizational priorities including:
- Incorporating digital and traditional communications tactics to reach and engage a more diversified audience;
- Coordinating with partner organizations when necessary to maximize communications efforts; and
- Producing written materials including advocacy emails, op-eds and letters to the editor, as well as drafting messaging to various audiences.
- Collaborate with State Outreach and Engagement team to identify outreach opportunities and develop resources to grow and diversify our base of supporters and provide them with effective, strategic and continual engagement opportunities that align with organizational priorities.
- Work with the President and CEO of AU to provide support in drafting speeches for speaking engagements and other written products. This includes working with the Public Policy and Legal departments to ensure accurate research and background is included, as well as working with the VP of Strategic Communications to ensure up-to-date messaging is included.
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of experience working for an advocacy organization, in political communications/campaigns, or other relevant work experience.
- Speech writing or other relevant writing experience.
- Strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of public policy and/or state organizing/grassroots or grasstops organizing and strong political instincts.
- Fluency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and other Office applications.
- Ability to take complex, wonky policy/legal issues and convert them into compelling, engaging and simple actionable content.
- Ability to plan and manage under a tight deadline and ability to multitask and be flexible and effective in fast –paced and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to manage up, collaborate with other departments on multiple projects and work effectively with senior colleagues in the organization.
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits:
Salary is $50,000-$68,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability, 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls, please.