Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks an Advocacy Communications Associate. This position, which will report to the Vice President of Strategic Communications, will develop communications strategies and tactics for advocacy and engagement opportunities for high-profile policy issues and produce written materials to support these initiatives.
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers. As part of a new communications team and strategy, the organization is seeking a politically savvy candidate with a strong writing background and advocacy communications experience to engage and activate a new generation of supporters from diverse communities.
The responsibilities of the Advocacy Communications Associate include:
- Messaging: Distill complex legal and policy jargon into compelling messages for target audiences and platforms (specifically youth, faith, and diverse audiences).
- Storytelling: Identify opportunities for influential voices to amplify our issues across all platforms and develop stories and other engagement efforts to highlight impact.
- Written Materials: Develop resources for outreach and engagement opportunities including toolkits, op-eds, talking points, letters to the editor, social media, webinars, etc.
- Tactics: Identify opportunities to use a variety of traditional and digital communications tactics to maximize activation efforts with target audiences on policy priorities.
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of experience working for an advocacy organization, in political communications/campaigns, or other relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of public policy and/or state organizing/grassroots or grasstops organizing and strong political instincts.
- Strong project management skills.
- Fluency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and other Office applications.
- Ability to take complex, wonky policy/legal issues and convert them into compelling, engaging and simple actionable content.
- Ability to plan and manage under a tight deadline and ability to multitask and be flexible and effective in fast –paced and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to manage up, collaborate with other departments on multiple projects and work effectively with senior colleagues in the organization.
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Founded in 1947, Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure religious freedom, including the right to choose your faith or no faith at all, so long as you don’t harm others. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Salary is $50,000-$67,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability, 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls, please.
Americans United is an equal-opportunity employer and places strong emphasis on a diverse environment in which individuals are valued regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic.