AU is seeking a seasoned major gift professional to serve as its Major Gifts Officer to develop and implement our major gift program. The successful candidate will be responsible for growing the major gifts program, managing an active major gift-level portfolio, implementing strategic and effective donor relations, and securing planned and estate gifts.
- Grow and manage an active portfolio of major gift donors and prospects, including research, identification, cultivation, face-to-face solicitation, and stewardship.
- Design and implement major gift cultivation and stewardship plan, coordinating with senior staff, including major gift pipeline growth activities.
- Support planned giving initiatives, including management of planned giving vendor and addressing donor questions.
- Provide strategy support to the Chief Development Officer, key volunteers, and others for prospect and donor cultivation and solicitation visit and activities.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects.
- Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals.
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
- Participate in appropriate professional development activities to keep current with issues and trends in the fundraising field.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree, CFRE designation preferred.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of successful hands-on experience in cultivation and solicitation of major and planned gift donors and prospects, including knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Work within an advocacy organization, while not required, would be useful.
- Established track record of soliciting and closing five, six and seven figure gifts from a national pool.
- Strong oral communication, written communication, and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and people skills, including supervisory experience.
- The ability to maintain accountability and to work independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a cooperative and coordinated team.
- Advocate for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
- Tact and diplomacy in building strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks and negotiate several priorities simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, and to maintain a travel schedule necessary to visit donors and prospective donors.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and a 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.