AU is seeking a major gift professional to serve as its Major Gifts Officer to develop and implement our major gift program. The successful candidate will be responsible for growing the major gifts program, managing an active major gift-level portfolio, implementing strategic and effective donor relations, and securing planned and estate gifts.
- Grow and manage an active portfolio of major gift donors and prospects, including research, identification, cultivation, face-to-face solicitation, and stewardship.
- Design and implement major gift cultivation and stewardship plan, coordinating with senior staff, including major gift pipeline growth activities.
- Support planned giving initiatives, including management of planned giving vendor and addressing donor questions.
- Provide strategy support to the Chief Development Officer, key volunteers, and others for prospect and donor cultivation and solicitation visit and activities.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects.
- Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals.
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
- Participate in appropriate professional development activities to keep current with issues and trends in the fundraising field.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree, CFRE designation preferred.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of successful hands-on experience in cultivation and solicitation of major and planned gift donors and prospects, including knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
- Work within an advocacy organization, while not required, would be useful.
- Established track record of soliciting and closing five, six and seven figure gifts from a national pool.
- Strong oral communication, written communication, and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and people skills, including supervisory experience.
- The ability to maintain accountability and to work independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a cooperative and coordinated team.
- Advocate for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
- Tact and diplomacy in building strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks and negotiate several priorities simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, and to maintain a travel schedule necessary to visit donors and prospective donors.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and a 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Americans United is an equal-opportunity employer and places strong emphasis on a diverse environment in which individuals are valued regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic.
Please send cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.