Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks an Email Marketing Manager. This position, which will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, will use a data-driven approach to run the organization’s email communication program. From start to finish, this role will plan, draft and execute email campaigns using fundraising, advocacy and organizing tactics to engage, grow and diversify our base of supporters.
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers.
In early 2018, AU welcomed current President and CEO, Rachel Laser, and has since embarked on a robust strategic planning process to prepare the organization to play a more prominent role in the issues that have taken center stage in the national conversation. That process led to the hiring of the new VP for Strategic Communications, Tali Israeli, in October 2018. With this new, dynamic leadership, AU is taking its communications efforts to the next level.
As part of this strategy, the organization is seeking a candidate with the digital fundraising, analytics and political and written communications skills to hit the ground running and re-imagine our email communications program.
The responsibilities of the Email Marketing Manager include:
- Work with the VP for Strategic Communications to develop email campaigns that support organizational initiatives, drive action for advocacy and fundraising goals and optimize user performance and experience.
- Manage all aspects of AU’s e-marketing program, including:
- Collaborate with communications team and other departments to create, populate and manage an organization-wide email calendar;
- Draft email content that is creative, inspiring and engaging;
- Copy edit all emails;
- Set up emails including design, production, segmentation and dissemination of all emails.
- Collaborate with the development team to align email program with fundraising goals and initiatives.
- Work with the VP for Strategic Communications to engage, grow and diversify our donors, members and supporters and increase fundraising and advocacy actions.
- Brainstorm, prioritize, execute and analyze the results of A/B tests and new email strategies/tactics;
- Conduct and analyze performance analytics to identify the most effective strategies and messages;
- Develop reports of analytics findings to share with VP for Strategic Communications and other senior staff;
- Provide routine fundraising and advocacy updates;
- Manage aspects of AU’s relationship with the email marketing vendor, including contract renewals and updates, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills and Abilities Required
- Minimum of 4-6 years professional email marketing experience with a proven record of success.
- Experience working with a CRM like EveryAction/NGP VAN or similar email software required; experience with HTML/CSSand design skills preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills and strong project-management skills required.
- Experience working with an advocacy organization or a political campaign strongly preferred.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communication/PR, marketing, journalism or a related field.
- Ability to take complex, wonky policy/legal jargon and convert it into compelling, engaging and simple actionable content.
- Can plan and manage under a tight deadline and ability to multitask and be flexible and effective in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to manage up, collaborate with other departments on multiple projects and work effectively with senior colleagues in the organization.
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy. Competitive salary and benefits.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. No calls, please.