Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks a Design Associate. This position, which will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, will grow and develop the organization’s brand, reaching a national audience with compelling visual messaging and developing creative direction, resources and assets for AU’s key initiatives.
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers.
In early 2018, AU welcomed current President and CEO, Rachel Laser, and has since embarked on a robust strategic planning process to prepare the organization to play a more prominent role in the issues that have taken center stage in the national conversation. That process led to the hiring of the new VP for Strategic Communications, Tali Israeli, in October 2018. With this new, dynamic leadership, AU is taking its communications efforts to the next level.
As part of this strategy, the organization is seeking a creative candidate with graphic design and brand experience to hit the ground running and re-imagine our external brand to engage and inspire a new generation of supporters and raise the visibility of AU and the issue to the national stage.
The responsibilities of the Design Associate include:
- Work with VP for Strategic Communications to develop consistent, innovative design for organizational marketing and branding materials. These include, but are not limited to, logos, event collateral, brochures, annual reports, advertisements, promotional premiums.
- Work with VP for Strategic Communications and Digital Communications Manager to develop and execute multiple print and digital design projects and creative digital campaigns including social media and web graphics, ads, PSAs, web pages and other digital communications.
- Provide production and design support on a wide variety of digital and print projects, working directly with printers and other external vendors to garner quotes and produce quality materials. Must be able to pre-press materials to go to print.
- General updates of all templated and collateral materials for teams across the organization.
- Download and organize photos from events and site visits. Research stock photography options as needed.
- Photo retouching and editing.
- Help maintain design processes, traffic systems and production timelines.
Experience, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts from an accredited design institution (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 4-6 years of related experience.
- Proficient using Adobe Creative Cloud programs, including InDesign, Illustrator, Adobe Spark/video editing and Photoshop required.
- Proven skills in typography, layout, and branding and enthusiasm for new design trends and technological resources.
- Familiarity with digital platforms, including the most up-to-date digital trends and user and social media best practices. Basic understanding of HTML/CSS a plus.
- General understanding of printing methods and print production.
- Fluency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and other Office applications.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities in a deadline-driven environment; strong project-management skills.
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances in a busy environment while maintaining a creative approach to solving problems.
- Experience working with an advocacy organization or a political campaign preferred.
- Ability to take complex, wonky policy/legal issues and convert them into unique, creative and compelling visual content.
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability, 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy. Competitive salary and benefits.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and portfolio to email@example.com. No calls, please.