Americans United for Separation of Church and State is one of more than 1,000 organizations co-sponsoring the March for Women's Lives in Washington, D.C., on Sunday, April 25. We encourage all AU activists to join us in marching behind our church-state separation banner. AU Executive Director Barry Lynn will be one of the featured speakers at the rally.
Here are some highlights of AU's participation in this historic event:
- Barry Lynn will speak at the rally articulating the viewpoint that the Religious Right is wrong to try to use government to tell women what choices to make in their lives. He will speak at 11 a.m. at the 14th Street intersection with the National Mall. UPDATE: C-SPAN will reportedly carry live coverage of the events at the march; if you can't attend, tune in to Barry Lynn's speech on television or at CSPAN.com.
- AU members and friends will assemble at 10 a.m. and march as a delegation at 12 p.m. Assembly will take place on the mall between 14th and 3rd streets on Sunday morning. If you will be in Washington, D.C., this weekend, come out and show your support for separation of church and state!
- Our Legislative Department will be hosting a lobby day on Monday to give church-state separation supporters an opportunity to meet with members of Congress about pending legislation.
- AU staff will host a workshop on Saturday, April 24th, at the "10 in 10 Youth Convergence" sponsored by Choice USA, Civil Liberties and Public Policy, Pro-Choice Public Education Project, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, and Third Wave Foundation. AU will have an information table and members of our Field and Legislative staff are leading a workshop titled, "Faith-based Flim-Flam - Responding to the Latest Attacks on Our Civil and Reproductive Rights." The "10 in 10" event will take place from 9am to 7pm at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC.
- AU will also be involved at many other events surrounding this historic event. If you see us, come by, say hello and show your support!
For additional information on march activities, please contact Beth Corbin in our field department.