Amy Coney Barrett - A Threat to Religious Freedom & the Constitution
President Trump & the Senate Republicans once again showed their reckless disregard for our constitutionally guaranteed right to religious freedom for all by confirming Amy Coney Barrett to the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday, October 26, 2020. The Senate confirmed a justice who will help redefine America as a nation where religious freedom is a sword to harm others, not a shield to protect us.
“Barrett has made clear that rather than honoring Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy, she will join Trump appointees Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch, who along with Justices Thomas and Alito, are trying – in Barrett’s words – to ‘better organize’ religious freedom as a sword that can be used to harm others, rather than as the shield the Constitution intended it to be.”
- AU CEO Rachel K. Laser said in her statement.
AU’s objections are not related to Barrett’s personal beliefs, they’re about her record. Her legal letters, speeches, professional affiliations and court opinions show a hostility to the separation of religion and government. This constitutional principle guarantees that everyone is able to practice their religion or no religion at all, as long as they don’t harm others. Barrett does not respect this “do no harm” principle -- she has shown that she would allow religious freedom to be misused to harm women, LGBTQ people, religious minorities, the nonreligious and others.
The U.S. Supreme Court’s duty is to protect our constitutional rights – and that certainly includes religious freedom. We will never stop fighting for an America that achieves it’s great promise of religious freedom for all. Learn more in our blog.
Barrett’s Anti-Religious Freedom Record:
- Barrett joined a decision of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals allowing Illinois to exempt religious services from its emergency health order to protect people from the spread of COVID-19.
- Barrett joined a Becket Fund letter insisting that employers have a religious freedom right to fully deny their employees contraceptive coverage. The Becket Fund is a legal organization that opposes church-state separation and that was behind the Hobby Lobby and Little Sisters of the Poor lawsuits asserting that employers can discriminate against workers based on religious beliefs.
- Barrett helped train lawyers with Alliance Defending Freedom, a Religious Right legal organization that has been at the forefront of attempts to misuse religious freedom to roll back LGBTQ and reproductive rights.
- In a recent law review article, Barrett disagreed with a pivotal church-state case that protects the religious freedom of public school students and their families by ensuring that they are not forced to participate in prayers at high school graduation.
- Read our analysis for more information.
The separation of church and state is at risk. We need our Supreme Court to protect the religious freedom and rights of everyone.